These are the goals with which I started the year. Items in green are accomplished.
1. Finish the revision of Changers.
2. Find an agent or publisher for Changers.
3. With my co-writer, finish the Hard Reset script.
4. Write and release at least one more Sherlock Holmes story.
5. Attend at least one writing conference and/or do at least one reading or signing.
The writing conference hasn’t happened yet, but I’m registered for it. I’ll be attending the Writer’s Digest conference in New York in August.
As for finding an agent or publisher for Changers, there has been some interest, so I have hopes it will work out.
I’m waiting for my co-writer to finish his end of the Hard Reset script. So in the meantime, I’ll be turning my attention to writing another Sherlock Holmes story . . . AND probably also poke at the Peter sequel. I’ve got about three pages of it written.
In fact, I’m doing so well it may be time to add another goal. I’m thinking:
6. Find a home for “Aptera.”
“Aptera” is a short story I wrote on spec for a specific anthology. If you read this blog at all regularly, you may remember that it was shortlisted but eventually rejected because it was too different from the other stories; it didn’t fit in with the overall tone of the anthology. So I’m hoping to find a home for it. It’s been rejected a couple more times, but I do believe in this story, so I don’t want to give up on it.
I’m pleased with my progress so far, despite a multitude of rejections in less than two months. Comes with the territory, I suppose. But I’ll keep my head down and keep plugging away. Ti par ti, as we say back home—little by little, I’ll get there.