30-Day Writing Challenge: Day 4
4. Ten interesting facts about yourself
I don’t know if they’re “interesting” or not—that’s sort of subjective—but here are ten facts about me:
- I won’t eat meat off a bone. That’s something that runs in my family, actually.
- I won’t eat poultry unless it’s so covered in something else (sauce, seasoning) I can’t actually taste the meat. That also runs in my family.
- I’m allergic to berries and oranges.
- Maybe a non-food item? Um . . . I grew up speaking both French Creole and English.
- My favorite movie ever is Young Sherlock Holmes, which I used to watch every day (not even exaggerating) after school while doing my homework. Marcus in Changers is modeled a bit after Nicholas Rowe from that movie.
- I’ve both performed and taught Shakespeare, and an essay I wrote on Hamlet exempted me from any required English courses as an undergrad. (But I took a bunch of English Lit anyway because I like it.)
- The Fall and Rise of Peter Stoller started loosely as an idea for a Sherlock Holmes story but ended up going in a very different direction. As made obvious by the final product.
- My “M” necklace from Style Newport shows up in The K-Pro (except Andra wears a “C” for “Cassandra”).
- I love to dress up. Either in costumes or in fancy clothes.
- I chose the University of Texas at Austin because I’d visited the campus when I was eight years old and fell in love with the Harry Ransom Center. In particular, I loved that they had a plaster cast of the Nike of Samothrace, which is my favorite of the Ancient Greek sculptures. When I visited the Louvre, I didn’t give a fig about Mona Lisa, I just had to see Nike.
I don’t know if #7 actually counts as being “about me” but I figure it is by proxy since it’s about my book, my idea.