Playwriting Opportunity: Two-Handers for Suitcase Theatre
This is a call for new theatre scripts with two characters.
1. Scripts should be for two characters only.
2. Only new and previously unperformed scripts should be submitted.
3. The play needs to have about 15 minutes playing time, as up to three scripts will be selected to provide an hour’s performance.
4. There is no theme as such, although the performance will take place on Valentine’s Day, 2014 and writers might like to bear this in mind.
5. The location of the performance should also be taken into account. The plays will be performed at Connah’s Quay [Flintshire] Labour Club in a convivial atmosphere, where the audience may well be sitting at tables. Although there is a rudimentary stage, it is likely that directors of the plays may well prefer to use the floor area. More details about the staging of the pieces are available on request. In any case writers should avoid complicated stage settings such as integral doors, sash windows and so on.
6. Closing date for the receipt of scripts is 6.30pm, Monday 9th December.
7. Scripts can be submitted as hard copy to Suitcase Theatre, Garden Cottage Leeswood Hall Mold or by e-mail to email@example.com.
8. In order to cover the cost of copying and printing, all scripts should be accompanied by a contribution of £1, which can come in the form of 2 x second class stamps or as a cheque made payable to Suitcase Theatre. All scripts will be acknowledged, and those received on or before Saturday 23rd November will receive feedback, which can be used if the writer wishes to make any alterations and re-submit.
9. Suitcase Theatre will also provide three workshops, with practical advice and tutoring for writers, the first [free] drop-in workshop being on Monday September 23rd between 4.30pm and 6.30pm in Buckley [Flintshire] Library.
10. Suitcase Theatre may call for the writers of successful scripts to re-draft and re-write where appropriate. All writers will be notified by email of the outcome of the selection of scripts.
11. Scripts need to be accompanied by clear details of the writer’s e-mail and/or postal addresses and telephone numbers. Writers should also include disclaimers, acknowledging that the script is his or her own work and previously unperformed and an agreement for Suitcase Theatre to perform any submitted script. Suitcase will pay royalties to the writer of any performed script.
12. Successful scripts will be directed and performed by members of Suitcase Theatre, a community theatre company based in North East Wales.