So I’m getting more and more excited about my current WIP, which is a middle grade novel set in an alternative world. If that’s what you call it. What I mean is, my novel is kind of like The Giver in that the world is similar to ours but just different enough . . . Plus, there’s an element of magic in it.
I’m saying the novel is middle grade. The characters are actually 15 years old, almost 16, but I’ve heard many times that kids read about characters that are a few years older than they are themselves, so I’m guessing my readers will be middle schoolers. Which is fine since I’m not doing anything “hard core” like profanity or drugs. The story is actually kind of sweet. It’s about Cee and her best friend Marcus. She has a wrenching crush on him, but he’s gay, and what’s more there’s something weird going on with him, and for the first time in their long friendship Cee is feeling shut out. They usually share everything, but now . . .
Anyway, it’s a lot of fun. And yes, I do write a lot of gay characters. Maybe because at least half of my best guy friends were and are gay.
As for my walk this morning:
1. “All In” by Lifehouse
2. “Best Day of My Life (Acoustic)” by American Authors
3. “I Fly Away” by Better Than Ezra
4. “Quietly Making Noise” by Jimmy Buffett
5. “The Motown Song” by Rod Stewart
6. “No Curtain Call” by Maroon 5
7. “These Hard Times” by Matchbox Twenty
8. “Chariot” by Gavin DeGraw
9. “Wild Nights” as covered by John Mellencamp
10. “Follow You Down” by Gin Blossoms
11. “Everywhere I Go” by Amy Grant
Actually, Jackson Browne also has a song titled “Everywhere I Go,” and I love it. Played alongside Sting’s “Love Is the Seventh Wave”—it’s a really good pairing. Alas, I don’t believe I have the I’m Alive album in my cloud. Need to upload it . . .